In this session we will focus on the assessment of social and emotional functioning in emergent bilinguals and bilingual students. We will discuss the use of the clinical interview, self-report scales, and projective measures. We will also look at the assessment of acculturation and ethnic identity development. Students will explore the AQS and the BASC-3. We will begin with a quiz on the assigned reading on Blackboard and then discuss the material and engage in activities.
1. Describe Hass & Kennedy's RIOT approach.
2. What is the rule of two?
3. What are issues that come up when assessing the social-emotional functioning of emergent bilinguals?
4. What is entailed when assessing social-emotional strengths and needs?
5. What are sociocognitive factors?
6. Describe Brown's stages of acculturation.
7. What is the AQS?