In sessions 6-7 we will explore the implication of bilingualism on cognitive functioning. Due to school closures caused by the pandemic traditional special education evaluations were impacted. We will be discussing steps taken by the New York City Department of Education to support clinicians' in completing non traditional special education evaluations through the introduction of the Comprehensive Data Driven Assessment (CDDA). We will discuss translation and adaptation issues, as well as the integration of formal and informal methods. Students will explore the BVAT and verbal reasoning skills across languages. We will begin session 6 with a quiz on the assigned readings taken on Blackboard and then discuss the material and engage in activities.
No Quiz is scheduled for Session 7
1. What are differences between monolinguals and bilingualism regarding language proficiency and metalinguistic abilities?
2. Does bilingualism affect early reading?
3. What is the impact of bilingualism and executive control abilities?
4. What about bilingualism in older adults?
5. Does the CDDA suffice the need to collect information for a psycho-educational?
6. Do you feel full cognitive batteries are appropriate moving forward once students return for in person class regularly?