Please complete the following PRIOR to our class session on November 20:
READ the assigned articles and take notes
VIEW the two videos: 'What Would You Do?' and 'What It's Like to Grow Up Undocumented'
SUPPLEMENTAL (Optional) Reading: Godreau
2. Online Reflection Activity (ORA) # 11 Blackboard Journal
Go to Blackboard to the Journal link and post to the "Migration Stories & Colorism" journal.
3. Prepare for Quiz (RAT#11)
The 5-question multiple-choice quiz will be on the assigned readings and videos.
In this session we will focus on ethnocentrism and nativism. We will discuss emigration and immigration, including the process of acculturation. We will also explore the prevalence of colorism in immigrant groups.
Migration Stories and Colorism
1. Most of us have a migration story. What is your migration story? What types of migration trauma did your family experience? Were they fleeing oppression? Once they arrived where did they settle? Were they in an enclave of people from their country of origin or were they isolated? What did they experience in terms of exclusion?
2. Describe your experience with colorism. How does intersectionality factor in?
Read some of the “Go Home” stories.
4. Share one of your own that you experienced or witnessed.