In this session we will explore the implication of bilingualism on cognitive functioning. We will discuss translation and adaptation issues, as well as the integration of formal and informal methods. Students will explore the BVAT and verbal reasoning skills across languages. We will begin with a quiz on the assigned readings and then discuss the material and engage in application activities.
1. Describe the advantages of being bilingual.
2. What are differences between monolinguals and bilingualism regarding language proficiency and metalinguistic abilities?
3. Does bilingualism affect early reading?
4. What is the impact of bilingualism and executive control abilities?
5. What about bilingualism in older adults?