Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
About Topic 6
6. The British, Jews, and Palestinians, during the British mandate to 1939 (June 16-17)
Topic 6: Reading: June 16
Shared Histories: Ch. 3 Read For June 16
- Hassassian, Manuel. “The Palestinian national movement, 1919-1939,” 92-106.
- Norman Rose, ““Zionist Diplomacy,” 1914-1939,” 101-107.
- Discussion between Norman Rose and Manuel Hassassian, 108-134.
Topic 6: Readings for June 17
AND Choose one of the two articles and be prepared to discuss in class
- Grinberg, Lev Luis. "1931 — An Arab-Jewish Civil Society Struggle against the British Colonial Government." In Mo(ve)ments of Resistance: Politics, Economy and Society in Israel/Palestine 1931-2013, 60-89. Boston: Academic Studies Press, 2014.
- Matthews, Weldon C. "Pan-Islam or Arab Nationalism? The Meaning of the 1931 Jerusalem Islamic Congress Reconsidered." International Journal of Middle East Studies 35, no. 1 (2003): 1-22.