Hosted by CUNY in collaboration with other partners, Manifold offers a way to publish public domain and open-access books on the web with supplemental resources and social annotation. Manifold is free and open source, and CUNY’s installation is available for use by all CUNY faculty, students, and staff..
Ideal Use: Instructors looking to create well-designed, customized versions of public domain or open access texts.
- Resources including audio, video, and interactive content can be embedded into texts.
- Features include annotation, highlighting, and referencing associated documents.
- Strong visual presentation and back-end interface display under continuous development.
- Requires a separate log-in.
- Preparation of texts may be required to optimize appearance.
- There are minimal editing features once books are imported, so changing content requires re-importing.