Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Content by Weeks
Week 3: Status of US health care.
- Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health, Office of the Secretary, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2030 https://health.gov/healthypeople
- CDC National Center for Health Statistics. National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/hus.htm
Week 4: Discussion on health disparities
- Adelman, L. (Director). (2008). In Sickness and in Wealth [Video file]. California Newsreel. [58 min] Kanopy. https://brooklyn.kanopy.com/video/sickness-and-wealth
- Peters, W., Cobb, C. E., Elliott, J., Woodruff, J., Fanning, D., Yale University., PBS Video,, Bishop's University. (2017). A class divided.
- Fuchs VR. How and Why US Health Care Differs From That in Other OECD Countries. JAMA. 2013;309(1):33–34. doi:10.1001/jama.2012.125458
- SABRINA TAVERNISE. (February 12, 2016 Friday). Disparity in Life Spans of the Rich and the Poor Is Growing. The New York Times.
Week 5: Hospitals
- Richard Klasco, M.D. and Richard Zane, M.D.. (September 7, 2018 Friday). How to (Maybe) Avoid Sticker Shock at the Emergency Room. The New York Times.
- Dave Philipps. (November 1, 2018 Thursday). Canceled Operations. Unsterile Tools. The V.A. Gave This Hospital 5 Stars. The New York Times.
- Katie Hafner. (August 10, 2018 Friday). As Catholic Hospitals Expand, So Do Limits on Some Procedures. The New York Times.
- Michael Rothfeld, Somini Sengupta, Joseph Goldstein and Brian M. Rosenthal. (April 14, 2020 Tuesday). 13 Deaths in a Day: An ‘Apocalyptic’ Coronavirus Surge at an N.Y.C. Hospital. The New York Times..
- Morrison, J., Williams, A. and 1A Across America, (24, Jan. 2019) Amid Hospital Closures, Who Is Caring For Rural Americans? (23:29)
Week 8: Health care personnel
- Reed Abelson and Julie Creswell. (April 7, 2018 Saturday). The Disappearing Doctor: How Mega-Mergers Are Changing the Business of Medical Care. The New York Times.
- Reed Abelson. (March 11, 2020 Wednesday). Doctors and Patients Turn to Telemedicine in the Coronavirus Outbreak. The New York Times.
- Muller, D. (25 Apr. 2013) Reforming Premedical Education — Out with the Old, In with the New New England Journal of Medicine 368:1567-1569 DOI: 10.1056/NEJMp1302259
- Abby Goodnough. (June 23, 2018 Saturday). When an Iowa Family Doctor Takes On the Opioid Epidemic; The Treatment Gap. The New York Times
- Laura Pappano. (October 31, 2018 Wednesday). Training the Next Generation of Doctors and Nurses. The New York Times.
Week 9: Financing Health Care
- Reed Abelson, Margot Sanger-Katz and Julie Creswell. (May 19, 2018 Saturday). As an Insurer Resists Paying for ‘Avoidable’ E.R. Visits, Patients and Doctors Push Back. The New York Times.
- Elisabeth Rosenthal. (April 27, 2018 Friday). Nine Rights Every Patient Should Demand. The New York Times.
- By REED ABELSON. (June 13, 2019 Thursday). Florida Company Is Sued Over Flimsy Health Plans. The New York Times.
- (August 23, 2019 Friday). Life-Changing Drugs Almost Nobody Can Afford. The New York Times.
- Sarah Kliff. (June 29, 2020 Monday). Two Friends in Texas Were Tested for Coronavirus. One Bill Was $199. The Other? $6,408.. The New York Times.
- (February 9, 2014 Sunday). Medicine as a Business. The New York Times.
Week 10: Mental Health
- Joaquin Sapien and Tom Jennings. (December 6, 2018) I Want to Live Like a Human Being’: Where New York Fails Its Mentally Ill. PBS Frontline
- Sam Dolnick. (May 22, 2018 Tuesday). The ‘Insane’ Way Our Prison System Handles the Mentally Ill; Nonfiction. The New York Times.
- Rosenberg, K. P., Miller, P., In Cricchi, J., & Ro*co Films International,. (2019). Bedlam: an intimate journey into America's mental health crisis.
Week 11: Public Health and the role of government
- Frieden, T.R . (29 Oct. 2015) The Future of Public Health. New England Journal of Medicine 373:1748-1754 DOI: 10.1056/NEJMsa1511248
- Donald G. McNeil Jr.. (July 15, 2020 Wednesday). Your Ancestors Knew Death in Ways You Never Will; news analysis. The New York Times.
- Richard Pérez-Peña and Donald G. McNeil Jr.. (April 17, 2020 Friday). W.H.O., Now Trump’s Scapegoat, Warned About Coronavirus Early and Often. The New York Times.
- Mika Grondahl, Christina Goldbaum and Jeremy White. (Aug 10, 2020). What Happens to Viral Particles on the Subway. The New York Times.https://nyti.ms/2PBdvqh
- Jennifer Steinhauer and Zolan Kanno-Youngs. (March 26, 2020 Thursday). Job Vacancies and Inexperience Mar Federal Response to Coronavirus. The New York Times.
- Nicholas Kulish, Sarah Kliff and Jessica Silver-Greenberg. (April 20, 2020 Monday). The U.S. Tried to Build a New Fleet of Ventilators. The Mission Failed. The New York Times.
Week 12: Comparing health care in the world
- Palfreman, J., Reid, T. R., Palfreman Film Group., WGBH Educational Foundation., PBS Home Video., & OverDrive, Inc. (2010). Sick around the world. Arlington, Va.: PBS.
- Moore, Michael, Meghan O'Hara, Christoph Vitt, Geoffrey Richman, Christopher Seward, Dan Sweitlik, and Daniel F. J. O'Hara. Sicko. , 2007. WatchDocumentaries.com