1. EXERCISES: FOR THE FIRST TWO or THREE WEEKS
Your work before midterm is to create two short works. Choose 2 different techniques from the following list of forms:
- single channel piece
- double channel piece (to be shown on two different screens)
- video installation (projection or monitor)
- live video performance (ie, video is being recorded and played live)
- pre-recorded video with performance
For single channel work, logistically, it might make sense to excerpt your screenings and make the full projects available on Vimeo.
Over the course of term, you are encouraged to explore all kinds of cameras from cell phones to the pro-sumer cameras available in the digital lab and the PIMA closet. Each has capacities and limitations that change the quality of the work.
2. AROUND MIDTERM
Time to dig in. Submit a proposal for final work. This can take the following forms (or see me to make sure the scope is appropriate):
- a series of connected short pieces
- a long form single channel tape
- an installation with projection and sculptural elements
- a multi-channel installation
For the proposal, indicate what you are trying to do, Create an artist statement with a project description as well as a statement about how the project fits in to your existing methods or body of work.
3. FINAL WORK
complete the proposal above.
Here are ideas for conceptual approaches:
Note: Exercises must be uploaded to your own channels on Vimeo™ and then listed on this wiki on the "students" page.
Exercises (derived from John Baldessari and others):